OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training
In accordance with ANSI Standard Z390.1, Accepted Practices for Hydrogen Sulfide (H₂S) Training Program
It was a good training. Now that I am working in a situation where there is a possibility for me to be exposed to H2S gases, I was happy to learn what OSHA says about hydrogen sulfide and how to be prepared in the case of a disaster occurring.
Jeff Morrison, Assistant Manager - Oil Refining Operations
The lessons helped me to clearly understand the hazards of hydrogen sulfide and how to prepare myself for any H2S gas leaks while at work.
Roger Deanson, Supervisor Mining Operations
Engaging course and the animations to explain some of the key points were very helpful.
Chad Baker, Petrochemical Engineer
OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training is designed to provide general information and guidelines to workers who may be exposed to hydrogen sulfide in the workplace in accordance with OSHA’s General Duty Clause and ANSI/ASSP Z390.1-2017 which sets forth accepted practices for hydrogen sulfide training programs.
Hydrogen sulfide (H₂S) is a colorless, highly flammable, and extremely hazardous gas with a characteristic, pungent “rotten egg” odor. Hydrogen sulfide is produced naturally by decaying organic matter and is released from sludge, liquid manure, sulfur hot springs, and natural gas. It is used in several industrial processes and is produced as a by-product during oil refining, mining, and rayon manufacturing. Hydrogen sulfide is a highly toxic substance; therefore, adequate training and knowledge are of prime importance when working with or around sources of hydrogen sulfide.
This OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course will familiarize workers with the properties of hydrogen sulfide, the health hazards associated with this substance, and the safe work practices and hazard controls that must be used to minimize exposures within safe limits.
Some of the benefits of HAZWOPER OSHA Online Training
Once you complete the required study time, you can take the final exam. Upon passing the final exam, you will receive an electronic OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training certificate of course completion which will be emailed to you immediately.
- Our online support is available 24/7, 365-days a year.
- Our telephone support is available Monday to Saturday 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific time).
Please reach us via:
- Email: info@HAZWOPER-OSHA.com
- Toll-free: (866) 429-6742
- Local: (310) 498-0546
Our interactive OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course adds more value for the learner by creating a two-way dialogue and enabling a personalized, user-focused experience from start to finish. We periodically update content and add new videos, graphics, and animations to make the user experience interesting, informative, and enjoyable while keeping the safety training course content fresh and as dynamic as possible.
This OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course is narrated by professional narrators, who KNOW how to bring their words to life in an enthusiastic, conversational tone. We firmly believe that the right voice can help elevate your learning experience.
Please click here to view demo.
This OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course is taken entirely online. The material can be accessed anywhere, anytime from a computer, iPad®, iPhone®, or an Android® device of your choice. All you need is a fast internet connection and access to a web browser. This training course is built using HTML 5, making it more compatible with the browser on your smartphone or another mobile device such as a tablet.
Our cloud-based Learning Management System (LMS) tracks the progress of your OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course, allowing you to seamlessly switch between your computer and mobile device without repeating any content. You can stop training in the middle of a lesson on a computer or a mobile device and start again at that same place on another mobile device.
The core objective of this course is to familiarize workers with the properties of hydrogen sulfide and the hazard controls that must be implemented to minimize exposures within safe limits in compliance with OSHA’s General Duty Clause and ANSI/ASSP Z390.1-2017.
After completion of the OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course, the learner will be able to:
- Explain the characteristics of hydrogen sulfide and the natural and industrial sources of the gas;
- Describe the safety and health hazards associated with hydrogen sulfide exposure;
- Outline the occupational exposure limits for hydrogen sulfide recommended by various organizations;
- Discuss the symptoms associated with acute and chronic exposure to hydrogen sulfide;
- Discuss the significance of medical surveillance for employees working in potentially hazardous conditions;
- Explain the Hierarchy of Controls and its application in reducing occupational exposure to hydrogen sulfide;
- Discuss the requirements of personal monitoring and continuous area monitoring programs; and
- Summarize the essential elements of a contingency plan and the first-aid procedures required for specific exposures to hydrogen sulfide.
- Lesson 1: Hydrogen Sulfide – An Overview- This lesson will explain the characteristics of hydrogen sulfide (H₂S) and the natural and industrial sources of the H₂S gas, describe the safety and health hazards of hydrogen sulfide, how H₂S amalgamates with the environment, and outline the occupational exposure limits of hydrogen sulfide as recommended by various safety organizations.
- Lesson 2: Hydrogen Sulfide – A Health Hazard– This lesson will summarize how hydrogen sulfide enters the body and its biological pathway once inside the body, discuss the acute and chronic health effects associated with hydrogen sulfide exposure, explain the effects of hydrogen sulfide on various organs and systems of the human body, and the importance of medical surveillance in protecting the health and well-being of employees working in potentially hazardous work conditions.
- Lesson 3: Air Monitoring– This third lesson will describe the Hierarchy of Controls and its application in reducing occupational exposure to hydrogen sulfide, explain the importance of air monitoring in controlling H₂S exposure, discuss the requirements of personal monitoring and continuous area monitoring programs, and explain the three types of detectors used for monitoring hydrogen sulfide in the workplace.
- Lesson 4: Hazard Controls– This lesson focuses on hazard control procedures when working in and around hydrogen sulfide. The lesson will explain the engineering controls used to protect employees from hydrogen sulfide exposure; describe the administrative controls used by employers to reduce the frequency, duration, and severity of H₂S exposure, summarize the personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements for workers with potential exposure to hydrogen sulfide; and expound on the procedures and safe work practices for entering confined spaces.
- Lesson 5: Contingency Plans and Emergency Procedures– This lesson will explain the importance of precautions and control measures to prevent exposure to hydrogen sulfide and the emergencies that should be anticipated and planned for in advance due to the extremely toxic nature of the hydrogen sulfide gas. The lesson will define the term contingency plan, describe the essential elements of a contingency plan that must be developed for emergencies relating to a release of the H₂S gas, explain the roles and responsibilities of essential and non-essential employees during an emergency, and describe the emergency procedures relating to specific exposures to hydrogen sulfide.
This OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course is designed by OSHA Certified Outreach Trainers and is updated and reviewed as soon as new requirements or regulations are issued by OSHA, EPA, DOT and other regulatory agencies. The course meets and exceeds the compliance requirements of ANSI/ASSP Z390.1-2017, Accepted Practices for Hydrogen Sulfide Training Programs.
Once the OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course is completed, you will immediately be able to download, save, or print your Course Completion Certificate in PDF format.
There are no prerequisites for this OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course.
A Final Note
It is important to remember that attending a training course on its own will not make a worker competent. Competence is developed over time by implementing the knowledge acquired through a training course to on-the-job work processes. Therefore, in addition to this OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course, it is important that you receive additional on-site training from your employer.
As an employer, do you want to train your employees as a team? Do your employees want to learn from a qualified instructor?
HAZWOPER OSHA offers customized group instructor-led training (ILT). We facilitate virtual and in-person on-site training for groups of all sizes, led by OSHA-authorized trainers who guide individuals through the key topics of the OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training as per compliance requirements of ANSI/ASSP Z390.1-2017, Accepted Practices for Hydrogen Sulfide Training Programs.
We can customize this OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course with your workplace-specific requirements so you can quickly and easily meet your workplace safety and health training goals.
Rates for the ILT OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course is dependent on the number of participants and changes required (if any) to the course content. Rates will also vary depending on the duration of the training and the chosen option – virtual or in-person group training.
- Course(s) of your choice,
- Preferred date for the training,
- Number of employees expected to attend, and
- Preferred training option: virtual or in-person group training.
We will get you a quote within 24 Hours!
To learn more about group instructor-led training, click here.
‘Large corporations often operate and manage in-house learning management systems (LMS).’
We understand this statement and are ready to support employers in fulfilling their safety training goals by providing you with SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 compatible safety training course files.
If you are in search of SCORM compliant safety training courses developed in compliance with OSHA, HAZWOPER, NFPA 70E, DOT Hazmat, and RCRA safety regulations, then you are at the right place!
As experts in the field of safety training, we at HAZWOPER OSHA Training are aware of the various methods employers use to train their employees. Therefore, we are prepared to develop customized SCORM packages to suit your organization’s safety training needs. As such, we can convert this online OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course into a SCORM package to enable you to train your employees using your company’s LMS, making training accessible and hassle-free.
To learn more about SCORM Packages, click here.
- To familiarize workers with the properties of hydrogen sulfide and the hazard controls that must be implemented to minimize exposures within safe limits in compliance with OSHA’s General Duty Clause and ANSI/ASSP Z390.1-2017.
- To provide general information and guidelines for workers who may be exposed to hydrogen sulfide (H2S) while in the workplace.
- To protect the health and safety of workers exposed to or with the potential for exposure to H2S when working in occupations and industries which use or produce hydrogen sulfide.
- Any employee who can or may be exposed to hydrogen sulfide (H2S) while carrying on their occupational task, either directly or indirectly.
- People working industries that are known for H2S-related hazards such as the oil and gas industry.
- People employed in industries that use or produce (as a by-product) hydrogen sulfide, including
- o Oil and gas refining
- o Mining
- o Tanning
- o Pulp and paper processing
- o Rayon manufacturing
- o Sewer and wastewater treatment
- o Hot asphalt paving
- o Agricultural silos and pits
While OSHA has not developed a separate regulation for hydrogen sulfide, employers are expected to train and educate employees on the hazards that are a cause of exposure to hydrogen sulfide. Therefore, this course is developed to meet the compliance requirements of:
On the successful completion of the final examination of the OSHA Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness Training course, you will be able to immediately download, save, or print your Course Completion Certificate in PDF format.